In small groups we talk freely, sharing ideas, support and experience. We learn proven and practical self-management and recovery skills through cross-talk discussions and self-help activities. We learn specific methods for each task of the SMART Recovery® 4-Point ProgramSM.
- We differ from Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and traditional 12-step programs by teaching self-empowerment and self-reliance.
- We consider addictions and compulsions as complex maladaptive behaviors with possible physiological factors.
- We teach tools and techniques for self-directed change.
- We encourage individuals to recover and live satisfying lives.
- Meetings are educational and include open discussions.
- We advocate the appropriate use of prescribed medications and psychological treatments.
- Our program evolves as scientific knowledge evolves.
SMART Recovery® 4-Point ProgramSM
SMART Recovery® (Self Management And Recovery Training) helps individuals gain independence from addictive behaviors (substances or activities). Our efforts are based on scientific knowledge and evolve as scientific knowledge evolves. The program offers specific tools and techniques for each of the program points:
- Point 1: Enhancing and Maintaining Motivation to Abstain
- Point 2: Coping with Urges
- Point 3: Problem Solving (Managing thoughts, feelings and behaviors)
- Point 4: Lifestyle Balance (Balancing momentary and enduring satisfactions)
Individuals who have gained independence from addictive behavior are invited to stay involved with us, to enhance their gains and help others.
SMART Recovery® Tools & Techniques
The SMART Recovery® 4-Point ProgramSM employs a variety of tools and techniques to help individuals gain independence from addictive behaviors. Participants are encouraged to learn how to use each tool and to practice the tools and techniques as they progress toward Point 4 of the program—achieving lifestyle balance and leading a fulfilling and healthy life. These tools include:
- Stages of Change
- Change Plan Worksheet
- Cost/Benefit Analysis (Decision Making Worksheet)
- ABCs of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy for Urge Coping
- ABCs of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy for Emotional Upsets
- DISARM (Destructive Irrational Self-talk Awareness & Refusal Method)
- Role-playing and Rehearsing
- Unconditional Self Acceptance